This Pekin Insurance project is split into two phases, with the first focusing on mobile app screens for a paperless billing section and the other phase focusing on an overall mobile experience application. This was also my first project working on a team with other UX designers, so that presented itself as an obstacle. One of the main focuses of this project was user research, which included a competitive analysis, user testing, script writing, and user interviews. At the end of each phase, my team presented to stakeholders at Pekin Insurance, with the first presentation being live in person and the other virtually. A document detailing the planning of Phase 2 for my team can be found in the Deliverables section at the bottom of this page.
The problem statement for Phase 1 of the project was that Pekin Insurance was planning to start offering a paperless billing option to policyholders. Their main concern was that many would not switch over, so each team had to create app screens that focused on presenting current policyholders an incentive to switch to paperless.
The problem statement for Phase 2 was to design a mobile application hub for Pekin Insurance policyholders that focused on marketing to younger individuals. Each team was to incorporate their work from Phase 1 into this application, and design two other flows for users to complete.
The target audience shifted from Phase 1 to Phase 2. In Phase 1, the target audience were current Pekin Insurance policyholders that would be incentivized to switch to paperless billing.
In Phase 2, the target audience were either younger individuals looking for an insurance provider or individuals looking to switch insurance providers. The age range for this phase was >26 years of age.
Those who were interviewed and finished user tests were all members that could be in the age range of the target audience.
The goals of this project were similar in both Phase 1 and 2. In Phase 1, the goal was to create screens that were based on research of other insurance providers that would follow the process of paperless billing.
In Phase 2, the goal was to create a competitive mobile application hub for Pekin Insurance policyholders. This application would feature three separate user flows, consisting of the flow created in Phase 1 and two others picked by each team.
In both phases, the goal was to commit more development time on researching and testing solutions to the proposed problem statements. As well, since the project had to be presented to stakeholders, all of the documentation of the project must be consistent with Agile development.
Since the entire project had a spotlight on user research, most of the project development was on surveys, user testing, user testing scripts, and interviews. The surveys were conducted via Google Forms, and the user tests and interviews were done in-person. The feedback from the survey can be found in the document linked below.
Overall, this project was quite difficult for a variety of reasons, such as working on a UX team for the first time and not knowing enough background knowledge regarding insurance policies and billing. As well, my team and I had to adapt to using another company’s design guidelines and color palette which was also difficult. However, I did enjoy the focus on user research, especially writing scripts and tasks for user testing.
In the end, I was satisfied with the result of the project. I learned valuable soft skills in working with other designers and presenting to stakeholders, which have helped tremendously since then.
The first screens are from the “Make a Payment” flow. The screens below that are from the “Sign up & Settings” flow. The final screens at the bottom are from the “Call Agent” flow. Please full screen the prototype for the best viewing experience, and these prototypes can be navigated by clicking on hotspots.